Monday, February 16, 2009

Has anyone seen my terrible towel?

In December of 1975, Myron Cope, the radio announcer for the Pittsburgh Steelers, introduced to the world an item that would become one of the most infamous (or famous, depending on which side of the fence you are on) symbols in all of sports.  That item is, of course, the world's first "rally towel," The Terrible Towel.



I think it should be noted here that this is far more than just another meaningless sports gimmick.  Did you know that Myron Cope had an autistic son?  Well, he did, and so when the terrible towel took off in popularity after the Steelers won a Super Bowl later that season, he determined that he would use that popularity to benefit a cause close to his heart.  Since very early in its existence, part of the proceeds from every officially-licensed terrible towel sold go to the Allegheny Valley School, which provides care and education for over 900 people with mental or physical disabilities.  This continues even after the death of Myron Cope, who died on February 27th of last year (2008).  So, supporting the Steelers also supports a very good cause.

Now for my dilemma - I want a terrible towel.  I have been to several sports stores in the area and they are all out.  Go figure - the Steelers win a Super Bowl, and everybody wants to buy another terrible towel for their collection.  They aren't that expensive, at about $7-$8 each.  Now, for me, it's just a matter of locating one.  I would order one online, but I have a couple of problems with that:  1) It takes the fun out of finding one in person; and 2) Rumor has it that the internet is out of them, too.

If any of you out there have a chance as you are passing by a local sports-gear store to take a look, and you happen to see one of these precious treasures, please let me know immediately - I will make it worth your while...Well, maybe I should check with Brittan first...

1 comment:

Erin Brady said...

Good luck on finding a terrible towel. I'll keep Don's eyes open, since I don't go into a ton of sports stores.